CEREC® stands for Ceramic Reconstruction. It is a CAD/CAM technology platform that allows Dr. Scarpitti to make in-office lab-quality crowns for all teeth with multiple levels of aesthetics and strength, all from the convenience of our Orlando dental office.
The CEREC system allows us to scan, design, mill, and deliver the crown much faster and with much stronger materials than with older, traditional systems. We can also fabricate in-office restorations for implant crowns with CEREC. CEREC provides higher quality control over the fabrication of the crown, more accuracy, less remakes, no need for temporary crowns for two weeks, and—best of all—same-day delivery of your final ceramic crown.
The CEREC Process
- We prepare the anesthetized tooth through traditional crown preparation techniques. This creates room for the crown to fit between the adjoining teeth.
- We take a computerized scan with an intraoral camera of the tooth before and after preparation. This ensures that the CEREC crown will fit properly and look like your natural teeth.
- Once the scan is uploaded into the software, Dr. Scarpitti will create the digital design of your crown, taking into account the correct size and shape for optimal function and aesthetics.
- The digital design is sent to our in-office mill, where your ceramic crown is created, followed by custom staining and polishing of the crown.
- Dr. Scarpitti cements your crown on the same day, and you leave our office with a fully restored smile.
Taking good care of your CEREC crown will ensure its longevity, as well as the overall health of the surrounding teeth and gums. Follow up re-care visits and regular cleanings are important so we can review oral hygiene instructions and monitor for any recurrent decay, gum disease, and early signs of oral cancer.